Everybody desires to have healthy thick hair that is perfect for each style. Healthy thick hair is one of the most attractive things in the human body. In particular, females are very conscious of their hair. A few hair loss does their mood off and starts to think that they are going to be bald soon.
How much hair do you lose every day? You must have been thinking that you are losing hair abnormally but this may not be true. You can be sure of it if you have an idea of how much hair loss is normal when brushing hair or washing them. If you notice attentively, you will understand whether it’s normal or not.
Dermatologists say that a few hair loss every day is normal and you need not worry about that. It’s a natural process of a human body. The lost hair will grow back soon in a few days. Today we will try to answer the most relevant questions about hair fall to make your life better.
Table of Contents
- 1 How Much Hair Loss Is Normal When Combing & Washing?
- 2 What Are The Reasons For Losing Hair?
- 3 What To Do In Excessive Hair Loss?
- 4 Final Thought
How Much Hair Loss Is Normal When Combing & Washing?
A certain amount of hair loss is normal as a part of the body’s renewal cycle. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, a person can lose about 50-100 hairs each day. There are about 80,000-120,000 hairs on most of the healthy people’s heads and up to 9% of the hair follicles remain in the resting period at the same time. So, if you see that much hair in your hairbrush, it is not usually a cause for concern.
Washing the hair also collects a handful of hairs that have already separated from the scalp. People with shorter hair may not notice hairs in the shower drain but those who have longer hair always notice excessive hair in the drain, comb, or cloth. If the hair fall is more than 50-100 hairs including brushing and washing, it will be best to consult a doctor to help to identify the issues.
What Are The Reasons For Losing Hair?
If you are losing hair too much, it’s definitely a serious problem that needs to be solved as soon as possible. Let’s know about the factors that cause hair to fall badly.
1. Androgenetic Alopecia:
This is a very common and one of the general terms for male or female pattern sparseness. Both of the patterns are hereditary and can appear at any time of a person’s age after puberty. Males usually lose hair from the temples and crown but in females, hair becomes thinner all over the head.
During the pregnancy to the post-pregnancy period, estrogen hormone level fluctuates considerably. That’s why many women face intense hair loss problem momentarily. This type of hair loss problem usually resolves within a year or sooner.
3. Telogen Effluvium:
Telogen effluvium is a state where the hair remains in the natural shedding phase called telogen in the growth cycle. There are many reasons for telogen effluvium like- serious stress, surgery or childbirth, rapid weight loss, thyroid problems, some medications and so on.
4. Anagen Effluvium:
This problem happens in the anagen phase of the hair growth cycle. A large amount of hair falls out rapidly not only from the head but also from the whole body like eyebrows and eyelashes. The most common causes of anagen effluvium are chemotherapy, radiation, fungal infection, autoimmune diseases etcetera.
5. Alopecia Areata:
Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disease that causes hair to fall from the scalp as well as the other parts of the body suddenly in small chunks. This is not a temporary problem and can cause permanent baldness without proper treatment.
Certain medicines have side effects that cause hair to fall to its recipients. Here is the list of some certain medications that cause hair to fall as a side effect-
- Accutane, to remove acne
- blood thinners Warfarin
- anti-depression pills like Prozac and Zoloft
- anti-cholesterol drugs like Lopid
- beta-blockers etcetera
If you are losing hair due to medications, consult your doctor to lessen the dosage or change the medicine.
7. Nutritional Deficiencies:
Nutritional deficiency is a common reason for hair loss. Extreme diet can lessen the protein level of a human body and that may cause hair to fall. Iron is also an essential element for natural hair growth. So, iron deficiency sometimes causes serious hair shedding.
8. Fungal Infection:
Fungal infections like ringworm on the scalp can cause hair loss and temporary bald areas on the head. It causes serious etching also. Fungal infections don’t heal by themselves, you must use doctor’s prescribed medicines and creams.
What To Do In Excessive Hair Loss?
If you realize that you’re losing excessive hair, try out these solutions given below and if they don’t work, consult a doctor or dermatologist.
- Wash your hair regularly with a mild shampoo. If you have a dandruff problem, use an anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Take vitamin A, B and E capsules and use vitamin E capsule in the scalp.
- Eat meat, fish, soya, and enrich your diet with protein.
- Massage your scalp with essential oils for a few minutes.
- Don’t brush your hair when it’s wet and uses a wide-tooth comb.
- Drink a lot of water to keep yourself hydrated.
- Sleep at least 8 hours every day and stay stress-free.
- Drink green tea and rub it into your scalp. The antioxidant of green tea helps the growth of the hair.
- Give up smoking and alcoholic beverages as they affect the hair growth cycle.
- Exercise regularly and keep your body fit. That will also keep your hair healthy.
- Avoid heating and drying constantly. It can cause serious damage to your hair.
- Avoid chemical products like dyes, hair spray, dry shampoo etcetera.
- Keep your head sweat-free and dry to avoid oily scalp and dandruff.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables as it will supply essential vitamins and minerals to your hair.
- Stay disciplined, eat and sleep regularly at the right time. It helps the balance of hormones.
- Ultrax Labs Hair Rush
So, hair loss doesn’t always mean a matter of worry. We lose some hair every day at the comb and taking a shower. It’s normal. But if it seems excessive, go to a doctor or dermatologist to find the issues and solve them.